Serves 4 | time 30 minutes
Prep 10 minutes | Cook 20 minutes
- 4 small tuna steaks
- 1 cup of sesame seeds
Warm new potato and vegetable salad
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1/2 handful of basil
- 1/2 handful parsley
- 1/2 handful mint
- 8 new potatoes, halved
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced (reserve the fennel tops)
- ½ a head of broccoli cut into small florets
- 4 handfuls spinach
- 200ml vegetable stock
- Feel free to use any veg you have though
- 1/2 clove of garlic, diced
- 1/2 bunch parsley, cut finely
- 1/2 tin anchovies, cut finely
- 1/2 handful mint, cut finely
- 1/2 handful basil, cut finely
- 1/2 handful gherkins, diced
- 1/2 handful capers, diced
- 2 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Pre-heat the oven to full whack, take the tuna out of the fridge and leave to come to room temperature.
- In a large wide pan, gently sweat the onions on a low heat until translucent, then add the garlic.
- After 5 minutes add the potatoes and herbs and a splash of stock. Pop a lid on and braise the potatoes for 10 minutes.
- Add in the fennel and broccoli, then add the stock so its comes halfway up the veg at least, cover then leave to simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Put the garlic and anchovies (save the oil for later) in a pestle and mortar and bash and grind until you’ve created a paste.
- Add the capers and gherkins, herbs, mustard and vinegar and continue to bash until everything is mixed.
- Finally, add the oil slowly until you reach the desired consistency. Don’t worry if you don’t use it all.
- You can do this in a blender or food processor. If you add do throw everything in except the oil and add that last. I prefer the chunkiness of the pestle and mortar version.
- Pour the sesame seeds into a shallow bowl and lay the tuna on top, pressing the seeds in until covered.
- Season well with salt on both sides.
- Lay the tuna on a wire tray, greased baking sheet or grill pan and cook on high for 2 minutes each side.
- While you do this uncover the veg pan.
- Lay out the plates and with a slotted spoon lay the warm potato and veg salad on a plate.
- Carve the Tuna diagonally and lay a few strips on top of the salad.
- Finally spoon a healthy dollop of salsa verde on top.
- Sprinkle fennel tops over and season from a height before serving.